Close buttonMenu button
(858) 794-6363Book A Consult

What to Do with Unused Frozen Embryos

June 1, 2003

RESOLVE, the national infertility association, is currently conducting an Internet-based survey to assess the public’s opinion on what to do with frozen embryos . The Society of Assisted Reproductive Technologies (SART) recently stated that the estimated number of frozen embryos currently in storage in 430 fertility clinics in the US exceeds 400,000. 88.2% of those embryos are kept frozen for future attempts at pregnancy. The remaining 11.8% are stored for other reasons such as lost contact with a patient, abandonment or divorce. “It is not surprising that former IVF patients are not donating embryos for research,” says Dr. Hummel, “However, if a couple doesn’t want to use remaining frozen embryos, donating them to another couple would be a good solution.” With RESOLVE’s study, the organization wants to educate the public about embryo donation and help them to make an informed decision about frozen embryos.

You’re ready for your next chapter. We’re here to help turn the page. 

Book Now