Dr. William Hummel
Dr. William Hummel
William P. Hummel, M.D., F.A.C.O.G.
After completing his Fellowship in Reproductive Endocrinology at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Dr. William Hummel founded the San Diego Fertility Center. He received his medical education at Tufts University School of Medicine in Boston and performed his residency in Obstetrics & Gynecology at Stanford University Medical Center.
Board certified since 1990, Dr. Hummel is an experienced fertility doctor using all aspects of assisted reproductive technology and has assisted thousands of couples in achieving their dreams. Under Dr. Hummel's leadership, the center pioneered the technology of blastocyst embryo transfer, which heightens the success of reproductive treatment while lowering the risk of multiple births. Dr. Hummel also pioneered egg donation IVF in San Diego, which in combination with blastocyst embryo transfer, increases pregnancy rates. San Diego Fertility Center's success rates exceed the national average, and it has been recognized by the Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology.
Dr. Hummel frequently contributes to both national and international infertility and IVF publications and published his book: Miscarriage and the Successful Pregnancy. He has been recognized as one of the "Best Doctors in America" by Woodward/White Inc. since 1997. The San Diego County Medical Society nominated him to "Best Doctor in San Diego", the only infertility doctor receiving this honor in 2005 (published in San Diego Magazine Vol. 57, No. 12). He is a member of the Society of Reproductive Surgeons, the American Society of Reproductive Medicine, the Fertility Society of Australia and numerous other local national and international organizations. In addition to his interest in assisted reproduction, he has expertise in operative laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, and a special interest in the treatment of endometriosis.
Board Certification & Eligibility
- Fellowship Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.
- Residency Obstetrics & Gynecology, Stanford University
- M.D. Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts
- B.S. with honors Syracuse University, Syracuse, New York
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Reproductive Endocrinology
- American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists
- American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists
- American Society of Reproductive Medicine
- California Medical Association
- Endometriosis Association
- Fertility Society of Australia
- International Federation of Fertility Specialists
- Pacific Coast Fertility Society
- San Diego County Medical Association
- San Diego Gynecological Society
- San Diego Reproductive Endocrine Society
- Society of Reproductive Surgeons
- Past President, San Diego Reproductive Endocrine Society
- Medical Director, San Diego Fertility Center, IVF and Andrology
- Clinical Instructor, University of North Carolina 1987-89
Authored many research papers, abstracts and review articles with an emphasis on fertility surgery and in vitro fertilization. Recent research projects have been conducted in IVF, preimplantation genetic diagnosis, miscarriage and endometriosis.